If you are looking to bring the relaxing vibes of the beach into your home, painting your walls is a great way to achieve that coastal feeling. Whether you are living in a coastal town or in the middle of the city, with the right paint color, your walls can transport you to the tranquil shores of the sea. Keep on reading to learn how to paint your walls to evoke a coastal feel.
Choose the Right Shades
Choosing the right color palette is the first, and most important, step in achieving a coastal feel in your home. To get started, consider the muted blues, greens, and sandy beiges that are often found in coastal landscapes. These colors create a feeling of calm and relaxation, evoking memories of ocean waves and sandy beaches.
Here are some popular coastal color options to consider:
- Light blues: Serene and calming, light blue shades can evoke the atmosphere of the ocean and the sky
- Soft whites: Whether used as an accent or as a base, white can bring a sense of airiness and freshness to any room
- Sandy beiges: When paired with blue or green accents, a sandy beige color can create a natural and beachy vibe
- Pale greens: Signifying nature and serenity, pale green shades can add earthiness and a pop of color to any coastal color scheme
Apply Texture to the Walls
Creating texture on your walls can help you achieve a natural beachy feel. Some popular texture application techniques include:
- Sponging: Sponging your walls with a white or light paint can add depth to your texture and create a beachy, sun-bleached look.
- Stenciling: Use stencils to create patterns or mimic textures found in nature, such as tree leaves or the patterns of sand dunes.
- Faux finishes: Faux finishes, such as marble or stone, can help bring a sense of the beach’s natural beauty into your home.
Consider the Finish
The finish of the paint you choose can also play a vital role in creating the coastal look you desire. Opt for a matte or eggshell finish, rather than a glossy finish. Glossy finishes tend to reflect light too much, which can detract from the calm and relaxed atmosphere you are trying to create.
Experiment with Contrasting Accents
While muted tones are a staple of coastal design, don’t be afraid to experiment with contrasting accents to add a pop of color or create focal points. Consider bright yellow throw pillows, ocean-inspired patterned curtains or bold patterned rugs.
Here are some complementary colors and finishes that can enhance your coastal design:
- White and wooden accents: White accents and wooden furniture pieces can enhance the feeling of a beachy oasis.
- Brass finishes: Brass or gold-toned finishes can help you make a focal point in a room and bring an added elegance to your coastal design.
- Blue- and Green-Hued accessories: Accessories like throw pillow, art pieces and area rugs in shades of blue or green can accentuate your coastal color scheme.
What Are the Benefits of Coastal-Themed Wall Paint?
Coastal-themed wall paint can bring a serene and calming feeling to your home. It can evoke memories of the beach, creating a more relaxed atmosphere perfect for unwinding and relaxing after a long day.
How Do You Choose the Right Shades for Coastal-Themed Walls?
Choosing the right shades for coastal-themed walls can feel overwhelming. Start with classic beach tones like muted blues, sandy beiges, and pale greens. You can then pick complementary shades and finishes to accentuate your main color scheme.
What Are the Best Textures for Coastal-Themed Walls?
Sponge painting, stenciling, and faux finishes like marble or stone can all help create natural beachy textures. When nodding to the beach’s setting and textures, improvising with beachy-looking materials like cedar, driftwood, rattan, or bamboo can also work eg., using accent wall as a shiplap.
Transforming your home’s interior into a comforting and beach-inspired haven is more straightforward than you think. Choosing the right shades, creating texture, and playing around with complementary accents can recreate the sense of calm usually associated with the ocean. The beauty of creating your coastal-design walls is it’s incredibly accessible, fun and customizable. Take a chance, try something new, and enjoy the natural serenity of your coastal-themed home!